Green Sustainable Roofing
In some circles, "green roof" means "vegetative roof." But in fact, the term "green roof" really refers to a roofing system that's sustainable. That is, it provides the long-term environmental benefits that building owners and managers are seeking for their high-performance commercial, industrial, and institutional facilities. This is what we mean when we say "green":
- A green roof is cool. It has high reflectivity and emissivity values that reduce the amount of heat transferred into a building. This translates into reduced energy costs (in virtually all climates) and increased comfort level and productivity for building occupants.
- A green roof is lightweight. It requires less fuel to transport to the jobsite than other roofing systems. In many cases, it can be installed over an existing roof without an expensive and land-filling tear-off.
- A green roof is solar-ready. It can accommodate the wide variety of rooftop photovoltaic equipment that's available today. A green roof membrane is also an important part of a vegetative roof installation. Regardless of what you're installing on top of it, a green roof is part of a complete sustainable rooftop system.
- A green roof uses environmentally-friendly processes. Manufacturing a green roof requires less energy than other roofing materials, plus minimizes scrap. The scrap that is produced is recycled back into production. Installation creates little material waste, and the roof is recyclable at the end of its useful life on the rooftop.
- A green roof is one that can help facilities obtain credits toward the US Green Building Council's LEED and LEED-EB certification. The LEED program and a similar program called Green Globes are well-established and aid specifiers in the high-performance building design process. Both also recognize the installation of high performance roofing systems. Manufacturers of green roofs also are recognized by the EPA's ENERGY STAR® Roof Products Program and the Cool Roof Rating Council (CRRC).
The Duro-Last Cool Zone® roofing system is green because it meets all these criteria - and more.
- Roofing Sustainability
- Green footprint? We know all about it!
- What We Mean When We Say Green
- LEED-NC & LEED-EB
- Cool Zone® Contributions to LEED
Complete the form below to download the following brochures:
- Cool Zone Brochure
- There's One Cool Solution For Sustainable, High-Performance Roofing
- Roofing Selection Checklist
- Whitepaper on Sustainability
- Performance -vs- Thickness 40/50mil
- Performance -vs- Thickness 50/60mil
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Protect Your Roof: Preserve Your Environment
- F.A.Q. about PVC Roofing Systems